I’m not a huge fan of heaps of makeup. Let me rephrase that. I’m not a huge fan when it looks like you are wearing lots of makeup. Even the ‘natural’ look requires a bit more than you might think here and there but the key is it doesn’t look overdone.My number one rule: Foundation should not be worn as a mask. Use it to enhance your complexion not cover it.
Below is my makeup routine for shoots and going out, but remember makeup is totally personal and dependent on your features for example if you have a darker complexion you can get away with more eyeliner. Regardless I hope you can pick up something new!
The key products I work with on a daily basis are Laura Mercier and Alison Jade.
1. Prep with primer. I recommend the Laura Mercier Moisturising Primer if you have dry skin or want a dewy look, or the Laura Mercier Illuminating Primer which has a glow to it. Perfect for illuminating the skin and reducing the appearance of blemishes.*
2. Medium Coverage. Let your primer settle for a few minutes before applying a tinted moisturiser. For every day I just use the Alison Jade which is enough coverage to get you through the day and let your skin breathe but when you want a bit extra for night I like to mix the Alison Jade Tinted Moisturiser with a bit of Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser in a slightly darker shade. Perfect if you are wearing fake tan and the consistency is not too thick to apply to the whole face.
3. Foundation. Next comes the Alison Jade Mineral Foundation. I DO NOT apply this to my whole face, you only need to blend around the t zone of your face where the skin can be a little rosier and oilier. Blend in either side and on the nose, central forehead and chin. I also use on blemishes.
5. Eyeshadow. For the rest of my face I work with the Alison Jade Bronze Collection Pallette. For everyday eyes I lightly brush on the 4th colour from the left of the palette. If I’m going out I use this as a base and add a touch of the colour 3rd from the left along my lash line. If you have hazel/brown eyes like mine I think this darker brown makes your eye colour look lighter. Add the lightest colour on the palette to the inner corner of the eye to illuminate. TIP: To apply along the lash line of the top lid I use the brush from the eyebrow palette above. It’s also perfect to use as eyeliner below the eye and so easy to apply with the brush.
6. Eyeliner. Sometimes I add a little winged liner with the Alison Jade Liquid Liner but this will need a whole other post to explain.
7. Bronzer. My favourite part. Again using the Alison Jade Bronze Collection Pallette, coat your brush with your preferred colour, I like far right, and tap gently to remove excess powder. Apply the bronzer as if you were drawing a ‘3’ on either side of your face. Start below the cheekbone, to the sides of the forehead and along (just under) the jawline. Then I use my fingers to blend so there are no streaky bronzer lines particularly under the cheek bone. Swipe excess bronzer on the brush over the eyes and to contour down either side of the nose.
8. Cheekbones. Take a little of the Alison Jade Mineral Foundation and blend just below the bronzer (not on top) under your cheekbone. This will define the shadow of the bronzer enhancing the cheekbone. Then take an illuminator such as the Alison Jade Illuminating Lotion and apply with fingers in a tapping motion above the bronzer lining your cheekbone and again lightly below the bronzer under your cheekbone. Apply a little under the top external corner of your brow and down the centre of your nose. Finally add a touch of illuminator on the cupid’s bow of your lip.
9. Lips. I rarely wear lipstick but always carry a Burt’s Bees lip balm with pomegranate to keep them moisturised, it’s also red so give them a slight touch of colour. To make lips look fuller add a lighter shade or illuminator down the centre.
10. Mascara. I always add mascara last because then you won’t end up with bronzing powder on your lashes.
*This is usually sold at David Jones however I’ve found it easier to buy online as they are often out of stock. http://www.kissandmakeupny.com/